Vegetarian Fish Curry is simple vegetable curry with vegetarian fish added which can be optional. It is spicy and taste a bit sour and either served as a side dish or with rice as a light lunch.
Preparation: 15 mins, Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
° 2-3 (100-150g) vegetarian fish slices, pan-fried
° 100g egg plant, sliced
° 2 tomatoes, quartered
° 4 lady’s finger/okra, trimmed and cut into section
° 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and cut into section
° 1 fresh green chilli, seeded and cut into section
° 4 small beancurd puffs (optional)
° 1 stalk lemon grass, peel off outer layers leaving tender whitish centre, cut out 5cm
° 1-2 sprigs curry leaves
° 1-1½ tablespoon curry powder (fish blend)
° 1-½ teaspoon chilli powder
° 2 tablespoons oil
° 50ml coconut milk
° 250ml water
° ¾ teaspoon assam paste, knead with 1 tablespoon water and strained
° salt and sugar, to taste
° 1 shallot (optional)
° 1 clove garlic (optional)
° ½ teaspoon vegetarian belacan (optional)
° 2 candlenuts
1. Grind shallot, garlic, vegetarian belacan, candlenuts into fine spice paste and set aside.
2. Mix the curry powder and chilli powder with a tad of water to form curry paste and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pot or wok, fry the spice paste until fragrant. Add in the curry paste and fry over medium heat until fragrant.
4. Add in the water, lemon grass, curry leaves and egg plant. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the eggplants are slightly tender. Add in tomatoes, chilli, beancurd puff, lady’s finger and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and assam juice. Season with salt, sugar and bring to a boil.
5. Lastly, add in the vegetarian fish slices and serve immediately with rice.
This easy steamed dish without much work and is ideal for busy people who have little time to spare.
Preparation: 7 mins Cooking time: 8 mins
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
° 2-3 (100-150g) vegetarian fish slices
° 1 tomato, cut into 6 wedges
° 2-3 thin slices ginger, finely shredded
° 1 preserved sour plum (optional)
° ½ fresh red chilli (optional), seeded and finely shredded
° 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
° ½-1 teaspoon light soy sauce
° a small handful fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
1. Arrange the vegetarian fish in a heatproof serving plate. Drizzle oil, soy sauce and scatter plum, ginger and tomato over the plate. Steam for 8 minutes.
2. Garnish with coriander, chilli and serve immediately.
1. Thin slices of silken tofu and cooked Chinese dried mushrooms can be scattered before steaming, if desired.